Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
NSERC awards six Arthur B. McDonald Fellowships (formerly E.W.R. Steacie Fellowships) annually valued at $250,000 over two years, with full relief from teaching and administrative responsibilities.
UBC is limited to six nominations, so VPRI will coordinate a preliminary selection process (details and form below) to select UBC's candidates. NSERC is strongly encouraging institutions to consider equity, diversity and inclusion in the nomination processes, and is encouraging self-nominations.
- Candidates must have held an independent academic position for 10 years or less as of June 1, 2022 (this window may be extended by career interruptions).
- Candidates may self-nominate.
- Criteria and weightings:
- Research achievements and impacts (40%)
- Outreach, mentorship and leadership (30%)
- Future directions (30%)
Please review the full NSERC nomination guidelines: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Prizes-Prix/McDonald-McDonald/Nomination-Nomination_eng.asp
PRELIMINARY SELECTION PROCESS
Complete the online preliminary selection form by Tuesday, March 1, 2022 at 5 pm.
As the fellowship requires a two-year release from teaching and administrative duties, candidates should inform their department heads prior to submitting a preliminary self-nomination.
The preliminary selection form includes two mandatory documents:
- 2-page Accomplishment Statement (12 pt font, first person, addressing award criteria) and
- Updated UBC CV
- The AVP Research and Innovation and/or an adjudication committee will review all preliminary selection materials.
- Candidates selected to advance will be notified by April 1, 2022.
- Selected candidates will complete the full package for submission to NSERC. The VPRI will provide nomination development support, including editorial review of the nomination documents.
- Institutional sign-off will be provided by the VP Research & Innovation.
- The VPRI Office will submit the final nominations to NSERC before the June 7, 2022 deadline.
Questions? Contact Meaghan Miller, Award Nomination Development Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.