The Office of Research Prizes and Awards (ORPA) is a unit within the VP Research and Innovation (VPRI) portfolio. In conjunction with faculties and departments across UBC campuses, we aim to foster a culture around seeking and developing nominations of faculty for awards and prizes.
ORPA is led by a Director and guided by the VP Research and the Institutional Council for Research Prizes and Awards (ICRPA).
In addition to central VPRI guidance and support, UBC faculties, departments, schools and institutes will have their own priorities, strategies and plans for research prize nominations.
ORPA is responsible for:
- Managing the VPRI’s internal selection processes and communication for external award nominations.
- Coordinating external nomination submissions on behalf of the UBC President or VP Research.
- Coordinating UBC's internal faculty research award competitions in conjunction with the Faculty Research Awards Committee (FRAC)
- Liaising with award and prize sponsor agencies to confirm requirements, eligibility, timelines, and communication, and sharing information within UBC.
- Tracking UBC nomination activities, tracking and promoting success stories of UBC award winners on our website.
- With guidance from ICRPA, developing policies and materials around better practices in EDI in internal selection, award culture fostering and mentorship.
- Coordinating with Deans, Associate Deans of Research, Department Heads, faculty and staff, to identify and prioritize awards opportunities.
- Supporting UBC faculty and staff to coordinate and develop competitive nominations for external award competitions.
ORPA services include:
- Advising faculty on award nomination eligibility, competitiveness, awards laddering and positioning.
- Reviewing and providing detailed feedback on draft nomination materials.
- Maintaining a tailored directory of external award opportunities and promoting upcoming opportunities through the VPRI Research Digest and other communication channels.
- Developing award-related resources including guidelines and templates, and hosting information sessions.
- Maintaining a library of resources including sample nomination materials.
For support: contact ORPA's Award Nomination Development Officers.