Our awards committees lead an internal recognition program and encourage quality applications to prestigious external awards and prizes.
Faculty Research Awards Committee
The Faculty Research Awards Committee is composed of UBC faculty members who adjudicate the internal research awards, which recognize excellence in research by UBC faculty members in a variety of disciplines.
- The committee is comprised of a non-voting chair (appointed by the Vice-President, Research & Innovation) and members on two subcommittees representing (1) arts and humanities, and business, and (2) applied science, science, and medicine. The entire committee considers applications for the Killam Accelerator Research Fellowships, President's Excellence Award for Public Education through Media, Jacob Biely Prize, and Killam Faculty Research Fellowships.
- The two subcommittees consider applications and nominations for scholarly activity in the arts and humanities, and the sciences and applied sciences, respectively, for the Killam Faculty Research Prizes, the Charles A. McDowell Award, and the Sam Black and Dorothy Somerset awards.
- Based on the recommendations of this committee, the Vice-President, Research & Innovation decides the winner of each internal award.
- Members serve a three-year term.
- Algar, Russ Chemistry
- Anderson, Siwan Vancouver School of Economics
- Chen, Jinhua Asian Studies
- Gabora, Liane Psychology
- Harris, Leila Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice / Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability
- Johnson, James Cellular and Physiological Sciences
- Levings, Megan Surgery
- Liu-Ambrose, Teresa Physical Therapy (Chair)
- Parkes, Debra The Allard School of Law
- Pattabiraman, Karthik Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Taiebat, Mahdi Civil Engineering
- Weary, Dan Land and Food Systems
- Wilkes, Rima Sociology
Institutional Council for Research Prizes and Awards
The awarding of national and international honours, awards and prizes to UBC researchers is an important hallmark of research excellence and is critical in attracting both funding partners and world-leading academic researchers to UBC.
- The Institutional Council for Research Prizes and Awards reports to the Vice-President Research & Innovation (VPRI) and provides advice to both the VPRI and to the President and Vice-Chancellor.
- The Council is comprised of scholars from the different disciplinary clusters (humanities, creative and performing arts, social sciences, natural sciences, engineering, health), major award recipients, junior/mid-career/senior faculty members
- The Council is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) practices are reflected.
- Barker, Philip, Vice-Principal, Research, Okanagan campus
- Evenden, Matthew, Associate Vice-President, Research & Innovation
- Claxton, Dana, Associate Professor and Head, (Art History,Visual Art & Theory)
- Feng, Chen, Assistant Professor(Engineering) Okanagan campus
- Frost, Heather, Director, Support Programs to Advance Research Capacity (SPARC)(ex officio, non-voting)
- Gunew, Sneja, Member, Emeritus College
- Hole, Rachelle, Associate Professor, (School of Social Work) Okanagan campus
- Liu-Ambrose, Teresa, Interim Chair, Professor, CRC II,(Physical Therapy)
- Mahtani, Minelle, Senior Advisor to the Provost, Racialized Faculty
- Ng, Raymond, Professor, (Computer Science)
- Puterman, Eli, Associate Professor, CRC II, (Kinesiology)
- Sumaila, Rashid, Professor, Director, Fisheries Economics Research Unit, UBC Fisheries Centre
- Virji-Babul, Naznin, Senior Advisor to the Provost on Women and Gender-Diverse Faculty
- Wong, Sabrina, Professor, (Nursing)