Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
NSERC awards six Arthur B. McDonald Fellowships (formerly E.W.R. Steacie Fellowships) annually valued at $250,000 over two years, with full relief from teaching and administrative responsibilities.
UBC is limited to six nominations, so VPRI will coordinate a preliminary selection process (details below) to select UBC's candidates. NSERC is strongly encouraging institutions to consider equity, diversity and inclusion in the nomination processes, and is encouraging self-nominations.
- Candidates must have held an independent academic position for 10 years or less as of June 1, 2023 (this window may be extended by career interruptions).
- Candidates may self-nominate.
- Criteria and weightings:
- Research achievements and impacts (40%)
- Outreach, mentorship and leadership (30%)
- Future directions (30%)
Please review the full NSERC nomination guidelines: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Prizes-Prix/McDonald-McDonald/Nomination-Nomination_eng.asp
PRELIMINARY SELECTION PROCESS
Please self-nominate for internal selection through the following two steps:
1. Send a brief expression of intent (EOI) to email@example.com by Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 11:59 pm. (This is an optional stage to plan for adjudication, and candidates can still submit in the next step if they do not send an EOI.)
2. Fill out the online selection form by Monday, April 3 at 11:59 pm, including date of first appointment and optional detail on career interruptions, as well as confirmation of Department Head agreement, and attach the following two documents:
- 2-page statement addressing each of the three selection criteria of the full nomination: Research achievements and impacts (40%); Outreach, mentorship and leadership (30%); and Future directions (30%).
- Please write to a multi-disciplinary committee, and consider giving particular emphasis to your contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in your research, training, and outreach activities as it is an important factor in this award.
- UBC CV
As the fellowship requires a two-year release from teaching and administrative duties, candidates should inform their department heads prior to submitting a preliminary self-nomination.
Questions? Contact Meaghan Miller, Manager of Award Nomination Development, firstname.lastname@example.org.